Ask a Urologist   »  

Prominent vein on penis, withhold urine while erection

Lately I've noticed vein popping out on the shaft of my penis right before the head. Its on the left side near the top and is in the shape of a crescent (goes about 1/5 around penis). Its barely noticable when flacid, but it becomes hard as an atriery when I get an erection. I figured it'd go away on its own, but it's not. Last night, my girlfriend even asked me about it. It doesn't appear to be bruised or anything - but could see purple if you look closely and streach skin. In fact, it's just odd because it gets rock hard and pops out so bad with an erection. I figure its time to do something about this unsitely bulge. Any thoughts? An added thought - it may have initially appeared when I squeezed the area as I was trying to hold back urinating while having an erection. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 47 minutes later

From the symptoms, it can be penile varicose vein or Mondor’s disease. In penile varicose vein, when you feel the vein, you will notice that it feels kind of lumpy, but not tender to touch. In Mondor’s disease, It is swelling of a veins under the skin of the breast and penis which is caused by a blood clot and is due to superficial thrombophlebitis. It can happen due to circulatory system conditions as well.

You should get a Doppler ultrasound and a physician examination done from a urologist as treatment depends on the same. The varicose vein on the penis does not require any treatment. It may bruise during sexual intercourse and thus wearing of a condom is highly recommended. Also use of lubricants is recommended during masturbation or during sexual intercourse to avoid bruising the vein.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Prominent vein on penis, withhold urine while erection 53 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.

When I touch or push in on the area (about 1/2 inch long that goes around and is perpendicular to the shaft), I would not say it is tender. Of course, if I push on it hard enough, I'll feel some pain. Also, when the penis is in it's normal state, it is noticable if I feel for it - but it doesn't protrude out as when the penis is erect.

From what you said in your initial reply, it appears to be more likely to be a vericose vein. Is there a treatment for that? Does it go away? The reason I ask is that it just appeared for the first time about a week ago when I squeezed my penis while it was erect to prevent from urinating. I forgot to add previously, that after I did that, I had slight bleeding out of the penis hole which went away in about a day. Does that change your opinion?

I never had anything unusual regarding my penis, so needless to say, having this vein protruding is troubling to me. Any suggestions?

I look forward to your reply and have a great day.
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 12 hours later

Thanks for providing the clarification. Since the vein protruding out is a bit tender when pressed and it appeared the first time when you squeezed your penis during erection and there was slight bleeding from the penis hole, it is more likely to be due to a blood clot in the vein causing superficial thrombophlebitis or a thrombosis (clot) of a penile lymphatic vessel.

Abstinence from sexual activity is important. Use of aspirin & anticoagulants like heparin are common but they are available by prescription and should be used under a medical guidance. Anti-inflammatory drugs not only provide the pain relief but also tend to decrease the inflammation. So they can be used along with warm compresses.