Prolonged fever, swollen tongue and neck. What could be causing this?

My 29 year old son has has an ongoing fever for the past week and now has a swollen tongue and neck, he is having a hard time swallowing and moving his neck.
Posted Sun, 24 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Guru 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Symptoms sound serious Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for consulting HealthcareMagic! Based on the symptoms mentioned, they sound very serious. Possible conditions include Epiglotitis, Pharyngitis, Laryngitis, Retropharyngeal abscess. Epiglotitis and Retropharyngeal abscess are very serious conditions and needs immediate attention. I feel that the symptoms described by you needs an emergency evaluation and treatment. Please visit a ER at the earliest. Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if you have have any clarifications. If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. If you like my answers and wish me to answer in future, bring it to my attention: Dr Vasanth. Url link is as follows: WWW.WWWW.WW Wish you good health!