Prolonged constipation, no pain, taken fiber pills, on normal diet. Suggestions?

I have been constipated for close to two months. I can use the restroom every now and then, but it isn't "normal." I have taken fiber pills to help. They seem to help me go, but I know it still isn't right. I also feel my diet is normal and fairly healthy. I eat plenty of fruit, and whole grains. I also do not ever experience any pain. Any suggestions?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 26 minutes later

From your description it seems that you are having a sense of incomplete evacuation. You have to use rest room very frequently.

NEVER TRY TO PUSH HARD FOR A BOWEL MOVEMENT. You should make efforts to have soft and regular bowel movements.

You can take some simple measures in addition to the fibre that you are taking to have relief upto some extent-

1. Drink a glass of water before going to toilet. This will help in the increasing the bowel movements as well as compensate for the water loss from body.

2.Take probiotics- lactobacillus acidophillus spores.

3. Do acupressure-The point is at the highest spot of the muscle between the thumb and index finger when they are brought close together. With your thumb or middle finger at a 90 degree angle to the skin, apply gradually increasing pressure. Hold for three minutes. The pressure should not be painful or uncomfortable.

4.Take magnesium supplements or magnesium XXXXXXX foods like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.

5. Engage in regular physical activity. Not getting enough physical activity can lead to constipation.

6.Don't put off the urge. The longer you delay when the urge to have a bowel movement strikes, the more water gets absorbed from stool and the harder it becomes to have a bowel movement.

7. Eating more fruits, vegetables and grains, which are high in fiber.

Foods XXXXXXX in SOLUBLE Fiber: Oatmeal or oat bran; Brown rice; Orange, grapefruit, XXXXXXX plantain
Foods that can act as laxatives: Prunes, figs, Psyllium husk, shredded wheat, flaxseed (oil), Senna, Cascara sagrada, Aloe vera juice, Dandelion root, Molasses, Liquorice, etc.

8. Cessation of smoking and tobacco use, excess dependence on sodas, colas and caffeine.

All these measures will considerably reduce your problem and you can use the fiber pills as and when required.

Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.