Prolonged computer use can lead to disc protrusion? Go for a fusion surgery?

I've been diagnosed with c5 and c6 protrusions and have been advised to have fusion surgery. I have not had a accident or injury but have had a poor working station(computer) for the three years that I have had neck pain. Can this have caused my condition? What would be the best way to prove it for workers comp. I have worked for 30 years without an injury, and have been physically healthy otherwise.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 hours later

Disc protrusions also known as 'Disc Prolapse' are much commoner in the lower back (lumbar region) than cervical region.
Cervical disc prolapses occur acutely following a whip lash injury or gradually due to degenerative changes either due to age or secondary to repeated stress / overuse / poor posture. Such events may occur to a computer operator or mechanic if work ergonomics is not followed. There is no robust evidence as I know related to computer misuse and disc prolapse.

It is hard to prove this relation by examination or running tests.

Perhaps an examination by a spine surgeon and an expert opinion from occupation therapist can give you the needful information.

If there are any more queries, that you wish to discuss here, you can write back to us.

Warm Regards
Dr. Prasad