Prolonged bleeding, lump in the groin area, post PFO surgery. Should be concerned?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
52 yr. 5"2 135 lbs, had pfo closurse 8 days ago. After surgery after the tubes were taken out, it took awhile for the bleeding to stop on the left side, near the groin area. I now have a small lump that is hard,tender, uncomfortable sometimes.(on the right side of groin area) should I be concern
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 33 minutes later

You have provided with good information but I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better. Hence answer the following:

1. Are you bleeding from any other sites like mouth, bleeding in stools?

2. Do you have chest pain, shortness of breath, headache?

3. Is the lump increasing in size?

You have probably been exposed to higher dose on anti-coagulants during the surgery and you are also on oral anti-clotting drugs which can increase your chances of bleeding.

Since you have a painful lump at the site of catheter insertion it could indicate bleeding problem. You need to consult your Doctor as this could get infected and cause serious consequences.

In some cases the bleeding would subside but it is better to be safe and notify your Doctor that there is a tender lump formed and you suspect it is bleeding under skin.

Drink enough of water. Follow the diet strictly advised by your Doctors.

You may apply warm compress on the swollen area for pain relief. Avoid excessive activity which can increase discomfort. Be careful while walking to avoid bumping into things as well.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Follow-up: Prolonged bleeding, lump in the groin area, post PFO surgery. Should be concerned? 34 minutes later
I do not have any other unusual bleeding. I was concern because it is on the side that had some bleedint that was harder to stop after surgery. I have consult with my physician and they said to keep an eye on it. I don't notice its getting bigger, I just assume its not normal. I have probably done more activites sooner than I was suppose to (don't tell on me) lol
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 1 hour later
Hi again,

Since the lump is not increasing in size there is less concern. But it is still advisable to inform your Doctor that there is a lump formed, which may need drainage or topical medication to reduce size of the lump as it may not disappear on it's own.

Now that there is no fresh bleeding, nothing to worry. Follow Doctor's orders and adopt a healthy lifestyle.