Prolapse around his g tube site. had it removed but pain persists. Use antibiotic cream and a split gauze?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
my son has prolapse around his g tube site and it was pulled out earlier today. The prolapse causes discomfort in and of itself, but together with the replacement issue today, he is having pain at the site. Can I use triple antibiotic cream with pain reliever there and a split gauze btw the prolapse and the tube to ease some of the pain?
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

I assume that your gastroenterologist has examined the lesion and diagnosed it as a prolapse.

Usually the prolapse should not be painful or tender and should be occasionally intermittently going inside on it's own. If it is associated with granulation tissue (replacement tissue) or infection then it may cause pain and tenderness.

If you can see granulation tissue and no signs of infection like, pus, active bleeding, increasing swelling etc then the pain is most likely due to the healing process causing granulation tissue formation. In that case, you can apply the topical cream like the one you have or as prescribed by your surgeon and a clean gauze at the site to relieve the pain.

If you see any signs of infection or the prolapse increases and pain persists, then please consult your surgeon for checking the g tube site and starting appropriate treatment.

Hope I have answered your query.