Producing lot of saliva and foaming. What could this be?

My three year old has been producing a lot of saliva and just started foaming at the mouth while she was sleeping. She does have allergies and we are watching out for asthma with her doctors help. What could this be?
Posted Fri, 7 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 5 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

It would be interesting getting to know for how long she has been doing this. Also, what is her weight for age and does she snore when she sleeps? Her growth and intellectual development might also be important to be known. It would be interesting to know whether she has any history of convulsions or has been diagnosed with epilepsy, or if there is any family history of epilepsy or not. Has she ever been noted to salivate a lot while not asleep?

Dental problems that do not fit well and gastro-esophagal reflux disease are common causes. Enlarged adenoids or tonsils could also lead to excessive salivation. Autism and certain forms of epilepsy could cause excessive salivation. Inflammation of the salivary glands can also cause it.

I would strongly suggest you book an appointment with a pediatrician for an in depth interview and clinical evaluation. Generally, there is usually no serious disease, but an abnormality or pathology has to be formally excluded through a systematic clinical evaluation.

Thanks and hope this helps as I wish you the best of health.

Best regards,
Luchuo, MD.