Producing excessive hormones in adrenal glands. Due to pregnancy?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
i am producing too much hormones in my adrenal glands found out i am pregnant today could this be the reason why?
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 19 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Could you be more explanatory on your problem. If you say you produce 'too much hormone from adrenal gland' have you been tested before for this. Do you have Congenital adrenal hyperplasia. Have you missed your period. Have you done a Urine pregnancy test or a Blood test for detecting pregnancy. Kindly provide more information on these subjects for me to be in a better position to be able to help you.

Usually the adrenal glands do not have any direct influence on occurence of conception but rather have effects on the development of the foetus.

I suggest that you consult with a Obstetrician/Gynaecologist to confirm pregnancy first. Being pregnant in a setting of high adrenal hormone state can put a female baby at risk of possible virilisation (masculinizing effect) and may cause fluid and electrolyte imbalance. If you are a patient of Congenital adrenal hyperplasia, you may need steroidal hormones to prevent these adverse effects.

You have mentioned that you have an underactive thyroid. It is always advisable to consider pregnancy when the Thyroid hormone levels are in normal range to prevent adverse effect on the baby like birth defects, neonatal hypothyroidism etc. If your thyroid hormone status is normal after treatment there is not much to worry about in regard to thyroid function's influence on the baby for now.

Do follow a few steps from now. Repeat your pregnancy test. Consult with your Doctor, get a thorough examination. If you are pregnant and want to continue with the pregnancy you may do so provided the risks are few and you are well informed of them. You will need a complete workup of your hormones and help from your Endocrinologist as well to sustain the pregnancy with maximum care and support to ensure a healthy pregnancy and delivery. If however you wish to not continue with the pregnancy you may seek Medical Termination of Pregnancy in accordance with the laws in your country and the state of the pregnancy.

Be careful the next time. Do make sure your hormones are normal before attempting to conceive as this will reduce unnecessary risk to your baby. Eat healthy. Exercise daily. Follow up with your Endocrinologist as well for proper hormonal monitoring and response to treatment.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your further queries.