Problem with hands and wrists, prescribed Naproxen, doctor thinks it is carpal tunnel. What is going on?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hello, I am having problems with my hands and wrists. My primary doctor thinks its carpal tunnel but I have EMG test next month. My doctor said I should go back to work but my hands are not getting any better. I work as a data entry operator. I saw my doctor last Tuesday and she prescribed me naxproxen twice a day 500 mg but it is not helping. I tried wrist braces and it made things worse. I had this problem for two weeks now. I also tried ibuprofen, it's not working either. I don't know what is going on and I don't think I should go back to work to make the pain worse. I work 8 hours a day for 40 hours per week. Alot of typing and mousing. My primary doctor is new, she is a doctor for a year now so I want to know what you think and what I should do.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Pain in the hands and wrists with a daily typing work is likely to be due to carpal tunnel syndrome or a nerve compression symptom.
Usually pain killers and anti inflammatory drugs are helpful in reducing the pain . But along with the medicines, adequate rest is a must. You must avoid typing and working at computer at all costs.
Investigations like EMG and MRI will be helpful in determining the pathology.
You can also get an appropriate muscle relaxant prescribed from your orthopedician for symptomatic relief.
Meanwhile you can do a hot fomentation and apply a local analgesic gel on the area. Physiotherapy is helpful after the acute pain subsides.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Problem with hands and wrists, prescribed Naproxen, doctor thinks it is carpal tunnel. What is going on? 21 minutes later
I've tried naxproxen and I had one week of rest already but the pain is still there. The brace didn't work well either so what medicine show I take
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 17 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
If the pain is persistent then along with rest and naproxen, a good muscle relaxant like thiocolchicoside needs to be added. The problem does take 4-6 weeks to show an improvement. You need to stick to the treatment. Doing hot fomentation thrice daily will be helpful.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.