Problem walking, epigastric discomfort, breathlessness, blue toenails, bloating, rare tumour

My mother is 80 and is having problems with having to stop every few min while she is moving about. If walking she stops and grabs her epigastric area and takes several XXXXXXX breaths. Her toenails are slightly blue. She states that after she eats it feels like her food is stuck in her epigastric area and has and bloating after meals. She has a hx of a-fib and the lower portion of her oft lung removed 15yrs ago due to a rare tumor.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 2 hours later

Your mother needs to see her Cardiologist now. What she seems to be having is some sort of chest discomfort as and when she does some physical exertion.

She is experiencing some shortness of breath and pain in epigastric region, this is suggestive of a Cardiac problem unless proved otherwise.

Again her toe nails are blue which is indicating of poor oxygen content in blood, this is again not a good sign. She is already a heart patient and Hypertensive also. Please visit your Cardiologist, she needs complete evaluation in terms of EKG, 2 D echo and other tests as per your doctors' advise.

Please measure her blood pressure and pulse yourself at home. Sensation of choking, again is a sign which points towards some cardiac problem.

Please discuss this with your doctor and you may opt to go ER also as in my opinion she needs immediate medical attention.

I hope this helps you. I will be available for any follow up queries that you have.

Wishing your mother and you a very good health.