Problem of conceiving, overweight, PCOS, scanty periods. Will losing weight help in getting pregnant?

I am 29 years old, and am overweight. I have PCOS, and would like to conceive another baby. I have had 2 children already. My husband and I have been TTC for over a year, but I rarely have any periods. Would losing weight help me to conceive? Since I have had children before, does it mean I have a better chance of getting pregnant?
Posted Fri, 13 Jul 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
In PCOD, due to hormonal irregularities, scanty periods and weight gain are a common problem.
PCOD is a condition where in numerous small fluid filled cysts will be located along the edge of each ovary, which affects release of Egg (Ovulation) causing difficulty in getting Pregnant.
Since you have had two children already, chances of conceiving again are better.
The most important part of treatment is exercising to lose weight and becoming fit. If exercise is not done then the hormonal imbalance will still be there. Proper diet consisting of low carbohydrates, low fat diet with plenty of fresh fruits and XXXXXXX leafy vegetables is needed.
Drink plenty of water.
Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes.
Avoid junk food, pastries, colas.
Balance low GI carbohydrates with adequate protein.
Include phytoestrogens in your diet.
Buy organic foods whenever possible.
Reduce your intake of saturated fats.
Limit or avoid dairy.
Drink two litres of filtered water daily.
Avoid additives, preservatives and food chemicals such as artificial sweeteners.
Avoid caffeine and alcohol.
Avoid sugar on its own and hidden in foods.
Include essential fatty acids in your diet.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Problem of conceiving, overweight, PCOS, scanty periods. Will losing weight help in getting pregnant? 47 hours later
Thank you for your answer. It gave me many things to think about, and a great start to changing my diet... Is the extra weight causing the hormonal imbalance or is it just making it worse. When I lose the weight, will that increase my chances of conceiving?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The extra weight causes insulin resistence and hormonal imbalance. Loosing the extra weight might reverse the changes of PCOS and will considerably increase your chances of conception.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.