Prickly skin,muscle stiffness, back pain,asthma and allergic to pencilin,had torn meniscus surgery and root canal

I'm 49 year old and male 5'7" and 165lb. I exercise regularly. I have been experaincing prickly skin, muscle stiffness and some back pain (sporatic and not severe and that seems better today) I work out 5 times a week and am used to certain aches and pains so it really has not been a cause for concern but the skin thing is odd... I have asthma and am allergic to penicillin. I had surgery for a torn meniscus last year and a tooth cut out of my lower jaw (bad root canal) a couple months ago.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

You have not mentioned the location of prickly skin sensation (paraesthesia) - if it is generalised to the entire body or localised to limbs?

Prickly skin sensation with muscle stiffness located to limbs is probably related to the nerve compression symptoms as a result of degenerative changes in the spine which is presenting as back pain in your case.

You can follow these measures for relief:
- If the back pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Some oral analgesics and topical analgesic spray or ointments may be taken. They are available both as over the counter drugs as well as prescription medications. Stronger muscle relaxants may be required for better relief.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- Back strengthening exercises and stretching exercises for your hamstrings daily as advised by a Physiotherapist.
- avoid exercises in times of pain.
- improvise your posture while sitting.
- take methylcobalamin supplements for nerve related symptoms.

I encourage you to consult a doctor for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications if over the counter medications are not helpful.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.