Prickly, itchy feeling at fissure site. Had sphincterotomy to treat anal fissure. Why is this occurring?

Intense prickly itching during sphincterotomy recovery

I had a sphincterotomy on November 17 (10 days ago) to treat a chronic anal fissure that I had been dealing with for over a year. I did not have stitches put in post op. For the first couple of days of my recovery, I had pain and some bleeding from the incision site during and after a bowel movement. However, this subsided after sticking to a high-fiber diet and drinking a lot of liquids. The issue that I am currently dealing with is an intense, prickly itching at the fissure site, and also at the incision site. It feels as if I am constantly being pricked in my anus by tiny needles. This prickly itching worsens when I sit down, and after a bowel movement. My question is this: Why is this prickly itching feeling occurring? And will it go away? How long will it last? Please let me know if you require any additional info. I have no other complications from the surgery that I know of, and I am an otherwise healthy 27 year old male. Thank you in advance for your time.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 53 minutes later
The irritation that you are currently having can be expected in any healing wound as in a healing fissure. Additionally, any moisture or discharge will make the irritation worse.
I would advise you to use a doughnut pillow while you sit so that you take the weight off that area. In addition keep the area dry and the stool soft. With these and other measures that you are already following it should be fine in 2 weeks time.

I hope I have answered your query.