Prickly heat rash in infants, use of aloe vera safe?

mt 5 month old granddaughter has a pretty bad case of prickley heat on her face, head, ares and torso. Aloe vera helped, but my DIL doesn't want to use it. Suggestions?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later

Prickly heat rash is seen commonly in infants and in most of the cases the rash subsides on its own.

Your infant is at greater risk of heat exhaustion and heat stroke when she has prickly heat, because her ability to sweat is impaired. Keep her as cool as possible and call the doctor if her skin is damp and cool, her pulse is rapid and weak and her breathing is rapid and shallow. Prickly heat can also turn into an infection and appear as inflamed, itchy pustules.

Dress your infant in loose, lightweight cotton clothing, particularly when the weather is warm. Avoid plastic diaper liners and plastic pants as they can make your baby more susceptible to prickly heat.

Keep her hydrated with regular formula or breast milk feedings.

Using Aloe Vera topically helps the recovery. You can try to keep the areas dry. As these rashes are self limiting, they will subside on their own in 5-7 days.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful.

I will be available for your further follow up queries if any.