Pricking sensation in throat, coughing continuously, unable to sleep. Will betadine gargle help?

ENT Specialist
some pricking sensation in throat causing me to cough continuously. The pricking thing keeps moving, sometimes right of my throat n sometimes left of my throat.. i m unable sleep bcoz of this cough..... Will betadine gargle help me to get rid of this type of cough
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Pricking sensation in the throat is due to inflammation in the throat. Following infection and inflammation in the throat, there will be eruption of granulations over the pharyngeal wall giving rise to cobblestone appearance. These cobblestones like structures cause itching in the throat and induce cough.

My suggestion to you is to drink plenty of warm water, which can reduce the congestion in the throat as well as the granulations and thus the cough. Also you need do gargles with Povidone Iodine (Betadine), 1:1 dilution 3-4 times a day after food and take anti-inflammatory medicines (such as Ibuprofen) to reduce the irritation and pain. Avoid chilled food and beverages, oily food, coffee, alcohol and smoking.

If the symptoms do not subside you will require antibiotics. Hence, please do consult your ENT specialist for a complete evaluation and management if there is no further improvement in the symptoms.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon