Pricked with insulin needle withdrawn from pet dog who has limes disease. Any exposure?

Pricked myself with insulin needle withdrawn from pet dog which is a carrier of limes disease. Any exposure?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 30 minutes later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

From what you have described you have been exposed to a needle prick from a dog who currently has Lymes disease.

While it is unlikely that you currently have been infected with the bacteria that causes Lymes it is certainly necessary to give you treatment assuming that you were exposed. This would involve 14 to 21 days of treatment with antibiotics. This is commonly referred to as ‘postexposure prophylaxis’.

The risk of not treating yourself with antibiotics is real which is why I certainly advised that you visit with your doctor to obtain medication.

I thank you again for the question. I hope you found my response to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them here.

Dr. Robert