Pricked finger on safety pin in shop. Worried about hepatitis B and C infection

Jul 2012

I pricked my finger in an open safty pin in a clothes shops while looking though the rails, I'm extremely worried now about hepb and hep c , I believe hiv dies instantly outside the body, what aremy chances of getting anything? Very worried please help as I'm worried someone my have pricked their finger before I did.
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Praveen Rodrigues 49 minutes later
Hi there AAAA
I picked this query to answer because as a dermatologist & venreologist, i get 100's of such queries regularly!
Firstly, allow me to reassure you. The incidence of needle-stick injuries causing events such as HIV et al are remote..less than 0.01% for sure!
Secondly, for the said needle-stick injury to actually transmit such viral infections, it will have to be in contact (contaminated) with blood or blood products. The chances of that happening in a hospital setting are admittedly 'real' but in a clothes' shop, someone infected with said viruses' will really have to be vindictive to actually cause an issue.
Third, by your own observations, these viruses' et al are 'fastidious' organisms..yes HIV more so than the others' & Do Not Do well in an environment sans bodily fluids et al.
So, in summation, STOP worrying; Relax..even if someone pricked his/her finger, surely the chances are remote any fluid still remains on that safety pin...perhaps why it is called that 'safety pin'! Jokes aside, if it were me, i would still confidently say..NOTHING to worry rest assured dear..& have a good day/night!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosemtologsit, Venreologist XXXXXXX Hospital, Bangalore, India