Pricked by needle. What are the chances of disease transmission?

i was stuck with a needle today at work. It had be to be at least two days since it was used. I think it was a insulin need. I am concerned to say the least, what are the chances of any disease transmission. I did go to the emergency room and the prescribed ati-viral meds for thirty days but weren't real forthcoming with any other answers
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later

A needle stick with no bleeding comes under a minor exposure. Since the needle was used at least two days ago, the chances of having an infection from such a needle are minimal.

Remember in future that after any type of high risk contact; clean the affected site with soap water immediately. As a precautionary measure after 3 months you can get yourself tested for HIV.

Once again, I want to reassure you that it is highly unlikely that you have contracted the HIV virus. I do recommend that in the future you take precautions if you are in a situation where you feel you might be at increased risk. Right now taking any prophylaxis with anti viral medicines does not seem necessary.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Dr. Rakhi Tayal.