Preventive measures to control BP and sugar at 41 years of age?

What should be the preventive care to be taken to keep BP and Sugar levels within control after the age of 41?
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 47 minutes later

Thank you for writing to us.

Before starting I would like to clarify whether or not you have been diagnosed with high blood pressure (hypertension) or diabetes (blood sugar related condition)? As you have not mentioned it in your history, I shall assume you are healthy and do not have the above mentioned conditions.

To start, both these conditions usually have a genetic predisposition, i.e. if your parents or close relative have it, you are a higher risk of developing these conditions.

But, keeping family history aside, the following measures can make sure you live healthy:
-Stress (avoid stress, by practicing relaxation techniques)
-Regular check ups (every 6 months; will ensure early diagnosis and treatment, to completely avoid these conditions)
-Regular exercise (walking, jogging, sports, for at least 30 minutes, 5 days a week)
-Weight management (if you are over weight, it is best to lose the excess weight)
-Diet (avoid over eating, eat in small portions, eat healthy, less sugar containing products, low-salt containing products, more fruits and vegetables, etc.)
-Weight watching (check your weight everyday, so you can accordingly plan your exercise and diet for the day)

Basically, the bottom line is your lifestyle, diet and genes. If all are well balanced, then there is little chance you could be diagnosed with any of the above conditions, or similar ones.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.