Pressure over the sternum towards the neck, fatigue. Do I have to go for a stent placement?

Cardiologist, Interventional
What symptoms are represntative of needing a stent

Heavy pressure over my sternum migrating upward toward my neck, and slighlty over the lower portion of my right pectoral. Heavy fatigure, just feeling crummy.
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 13 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I would like to tell you at this stage, that I would like to clarify a few issues.

How a cardiologist approaches the problem is this way:

First question one has to answer is - ARE there any symptoms (mainly chest pain, breathlessness, palpitation, syncope or giddiness)?

Second question is - if the doctor feels that your symptoms are suggestive of cardiac problem, then he would put him/her into two classes: CHRONIC/ACUTE coronary syndrome.

In the chronic cases, he may advise some more tests and medications for the problem and if there is no relief or high risk indicators are present on testing, an angiogram will be suggested.

In acute cases majority of patient would have to undergo an angiogram immediately.

Once we have information from angiogram, we would be able to decide whether patient requires only medicines or medicines with stent or medicines with surgery.

Hope I have clarified your doubt. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.