Pressure on upper abdomen near diaphragm. Speech labored and slurred, throbbing pain in chest. What is it?

What is this terrible pressure in my upper abdomen near my diaphragm. I'm a 32 year old male. I've been having this awful pressure in my upper abdomen near my diaphragm. It makes it hard to breath and speak. My speech is labored and and slurred. I can barely push out a laugh and sometimes it hurts a little when I do laugh, like a dull pain in my diaphragm area. There is pressure in my bladder too, and I have a hard time urinating. If I have a decent bowel movement, symptoms improve greatly or goes away. But if I go, but I don't completely evacuate my bowels, I have these symptoms. Often I feel a dull throbbing pain in my chest when the pressure is real bad. I have weakness in my arms and numbness and a tingling sensation in the middle of my back. Every once in a while (rarely and it may be unrelated) I wake up in the morning and my whole side aches and my eye swells up on the same side as the aching.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 3 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query.

The restriction in breathing and difficulty in laughing may or may not be related to the bowel problems.

Sometimes the gaseous distension of the colon can bring on a feeling of a restricted breathing but chest pain and difficulty on laughing does not occur.

I suspect there may be another reason for these and the abdominal bloating only worsens it. Kindly get a Chest and abdominal x-ray to better define the chest anatomy and to look at the bowels. A thyroid function and stool examination may also help. If these are normal get yourself evaluated for neuromuscular problems.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.