Pressure on back of head, burning sensation in eyes, nausea. Happens while sitting. What can be this?

Neurologist
Question
Iam feeling , pressure in back of my head , eyes have burning sensation , nausea .It only happens when i sit in the chair or else iam ok , iam worried as to what it is
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 4 hours later
Hello

The pressure on the back of the head and burning sensation in the eyes possibility could be due to eye strain which can cause pressure headache. Eye strain or Asthenopia can be due to specific visual problems, such as uncorrected refractive errors (RE) or binocular vision problems like accommodative insufficiency or heterophoria. In quite a few people, it's caused by looking at screens such as those of computers or phones.

Other possibility could be a "Tension type headache" (TTH) which can be due to stress, anxiety and eye strain. So I personally feel a consultation with eye specialist would be required to check for uncorrected refractive errors and binocular visual problems. If normal, then the possibility of TTH needs consideration.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Pressure on back of head, burning sensation in eyes, nausea. Happens while sitting. What can be this? 2 hours later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks for you reply , it happens even when i dont sit infront of computer , it happened to me today,it happens if i sit in the chair , iam not having proper sleep from past few days ,and there is some buzzing sound in my ears ,i will be ok if i sleep .

Thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 2 hours later
Hello and Thanks for the query,

Regarding the buzzing sounds(Tinnitus), it is a type of noise that seems to originate in the ear or head. In many cases it is not a serious problem, but rather an issue that eventually resolves. Rarely, however, tinnitus can represent a serious health condition.

Tinnitus can arise due to an issue in any of the following areas: the outer ear, the middle ear, the inner ear, or by abnormalities in the brain. It is helpful to know if the tinnitus is constant, intermittent or pulsating or is it associated with hearing loss or loss of balance (vertigo).

We can take this discussion further once you let me know if you have any other associated symptoms.

Sleep deprivation is one of the cause and triggering factor for tension type headache (TTH). Restoration of sleep with mild pain killer's most often terminates TTH.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Pressure on back of head, burning sensation in eyes, nausea. Happens while sitting. What can be this? 58 minutes later
I feel tinnitus only when I sleep , I dont feel it when iam awake , can you please let me know what is meant my intermittent or constant or loss of vertigo ,does loss of vertigo mean swaying .

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 17 hours later
Hello

Thanks for the follow up query. Tinnitus is present through out the day but is more prominent in the sleep due to external noise reduction. The external sounds in the day time masks the tinnitus.

Vertigo is a type of dizziness, where there is a feeling of motion when one is stationary. It is commonly associated with vomiting or nausea, unsteadiness, and excessive perspiration. Intermittent vertigo means that the vertigo is on and off. Constant vertigo means that the vertigo persists through the day. The most common causes are benign paroxysmal positional vertigo and vestibular migraine while less common causes include Menier's disease and vestibular neuritis.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist