Pressure in head and jawline, sweating, feverish, sore neck. Should I be worried? Previously had cold

ENT Specialist
Last week I had a severe head cold, to the point of bleeding from my nose and severe congestion in my sinuses. I went to the doctor and a NP said it was probably a sinus infection starting it. She said to treat it with extra fluids, decongestants, and a medipot; so I did. I felt better for a few days and then Sunday night it was back again. Now I have pressure again (w/o the sneezing/bleeding/severe congestion, just mild congestion) and pressure in jawline (mandible & TMJ) and ears (clogged) and I feel disconnected at times and dizzy (motrin seems to help a little). I also started had a XXXXXXX stool today. At night I get mildly sweaty and feverish, but then better in the morning. I feel sore in my neck (when I move my head to left or right (ear to shoulder, but fine chin to chest) and upper shoulder areas (trapezius muscles). Is this all just a coincidence, or should I be worried? My symptoms worsen when I am fatigued and my energy level is down.
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Decongestants tend to dry out the nose. They also cause rebound congestion.

2. If you do not improve in a couple of days, get your self re-examined, preferably with Sinus X-rays and a nasal endoscopy.

3. I would recommend a plain CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) if you have a history of chronic sinusitis, frequent colds or nasal obstruction. This is also because you feel disconnected at times and dizzy, though this may be due to a post viral weakness.

4. Antibiotics, anti-allergics and steam inhalation should be added if the sinus pressure, neck discomfort and clogged ears do not decrease. Neck discomfort denotes lymphatic spread of infection and clogged ears are due to blocked eustachian tubes. An eardrum examination and a Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram) can assess the severity of the clogged ears (which may also be a cause for dizziness).

5. Get your routine blood tests done.

6.The Para Nasal Sinuses have a large surface area and tend to fill up at night. This causes the feverish sensation at night which decreases during the day as they drain out.

7. A high sedimentation rate denotes a chronic inflammatory or allergy.

8. You may follow up with the results of your examination and investigations here for further treatment options. Balloon Sinuplasty is one of them.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.