Pressure in head, allergies, sinus infection. Worried about pressure

Question
I've had lots of pressure in my head I have horrible allergies and had a bad sinus infection but I'm sort if worried about the pressure
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 2 hours later

I would like to know some more details about your problem to help you better.

Since when do you have the above symptoms ?
Do you get cold frequently ?
Is pressure in the head felt only during colds ?
Is the pressure in the head one sided if not kindly mention the site involved.
Have you been on any medications ?
What all things are you allergic to ?

Waiting for your reply.

Follow-up: Pressure in head, allergies, sinus infection. Worried about pressure 54 minutes later
I have really bad allergies and have had head pressure on the sides above the jaw and my forhead. I went to an ent and had a ct scan done of my sinuses the ent put me on steroids and it took the sinus pain away but I still have head pressure. I'm guessing it's bad allergies but it's kind odds an uncomfortable feeling. It also causes foggy thinking

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Thanks for the information.

The pressure feeling in the head could be due to oedema in the sinus mucosa. This happens in most of cases after treatment with steroids for sinusitis.

The allergies you have are not serious enough to cause systemic disturbance or central nervous system problems.Need not worry.

Decongestants like Nasivion nasal drops about 4 to 6 drops in each nostril twice daily for a week will surely reduce the symptom.

Since CT scan has ruled out any major structural abnormalities , my theory above holds good.

Wish you speedy recovery.

regards,

Follow-up: Pressure in head, allergies, sinus infection. Worried about pressure 13 hours later
The ct scan was just of my sinuses it's on the left side of my head and causes some foggy thinking, it's the worst allergy season in many years here especially mold. The pressure is just above my jaw a little above my ear to the side

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 hours later

The site at which you feel the pressure corresponds to the sinus behind.

As I said it could be due to oedema in the sinus mucosa and you will surely find relief with the decongestant.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Pressure in head, allergies, sinus infection. Worried about pressure 34 hours later
Thanks I still have a headache but the pressure seems to be better. My head and thinking are still a bit foggy

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 11 hours later

Do continue the treatment.The foggy feeling is mainly due to the pressure in the head.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Pressure in head, allergies, sinus infection. Worried about pressure 9 hours later
I went in yesterday and got anti inflamatories for tension headaches and it seems to have taken an edge off the pressure

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 24 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
We could be looking at 2 co-existing conditions: sinusitis and tension headache. They are independent entities and require separate treatment. For tension headache, apart from the anti-inflammatories, some relaxation exercises like yoga and XXXXXXX breathing would also help a lot. These will actually help prevent the headache in the future as well. Similarly steam inhalation and keeping a symptom diary will help you keep the sinusitis in check
Let me know if you have any ore questions.

Follow-up: Pressure in head, allergies, sinus infection. Worried about pressure 2 days later
I think im doing better not ad much head pressure but still have foggy head and memory

Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Sometimes the tension and stress ( which precipitated the headache in the 1st place) lead to such a situation. I think it would help if you just unwind or take a break. Also, some amount of exercise, eating right and XXXXXXX breathing would also help tremendously
Hope that helps
regards