Pressure in groin area and numb testicle. Feeling uncomfortable. Should I be concerned?

I'm a 39-year old generally male. For about a week, my right testicle has been numb. There's also some pressure on the right side of my groin, maybe slightly into my right thigh.

I went to a GP, who said he had no idea what it could be, but was not concerned about anything particularly serious. Still, it's numb, uncomfortable, etc., slight pain but just 1 on a scale of 10. He suggested I just wait and see what happens. However, I made an appointment with a urologist--but it's not for 6 days. I'd like to get an idea what this might be, what questions I should ask, etc.

Of the things the GP ruled out: First, I'm 100% sure I don't have any kind of STD. Second, the GP said he felt no lump or anything suggesting cancer. He also said that if it were testicular torsion I'd be in a lot more pain. A physician assistant who checked me out thought maybe it might be a hernia but the GP disagreed.

Any ideas? Discomfort-wise I can wait for the specialist, but is there anything I should be concerned about and rush to a hospital?
Posted Mon, 20 Aug 2012 in Men's Health
Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 1 hour later
From what you have mentioned, I would tend to agree with your GP.There is probably no serious urological problem. This should be easily confirmed with a clinical examination by a urologist, and if required a simple ultrasound examination of your scrotum to ensure blood supply is normal.
However, there is a possibility that the nerves exiting from the spine are getting compressed due to a disc prolapse and once in a while the presentation could be similar to what you have experienced. So if the urologist says everything is fine, then you might have to head to a neurologist.
Please let me know what's the impression of the urologist whom you will be meeting and we can take it from there.
Regards and best wishes.