Pressure behind ear with unsteadiness. CT scan and ENT does not see any fluid. Had allergy medicine and steriods

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jun 2013
Jun 2013
Question
I have been having pressure on left side behind my ear and eye for 2 months now. This is accompanied by unsteadiness (not affecting my balance though, it's more internal). Had a CT scan and it was negative, ENT does not see any fluid, tried allergy medicine, steriods. I'm looking for possible reasons for this.
Posted Sat, 8 Jun 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 10 hours later
Hi there ~

I understand your concerns and the fact that you have had no problems in your general health. I also think that you have been having pressure on the left side behind your year and eye due to migraines. It is not uncommon to have these problems and is due to stress and anxiety. I also think that you should be symptomatically treated for the same. I feel like your balance issues may be treated with stemetil or cinnarizine. Migraines are treated with flunarizine and triptans. However you need to visit with a psychiatrist to get these medications and also give a good thorough history. I hope this helps. Take care and have a lovely day!

Follow-up: Pressure behind ear with unsteadiness. CT scan and ENT does not see any fluid. Had allergy medicine and steriods 22 minutes later
Can I have migraines without the typical pain that accompanies them?

Answered by Dr. Sushil Kumar Sompur 1 hour later
Hi there ~

Although very very unusual there are reports of having migraines without the typical pain that accompanies them. In fact Migraine with and without XXXXXXX is a diagnosed condition and people may just have XXXXXXX without the migraine. It seems like stress precipitates these kinds of headaches. The pons is supposed to have a migraine generator which causes this and it depends on which areas of the pons are activated, that would manifest in the site of pain or otherwise no pain with other symptomatology. I hope this helps. Consultation with a neurologist specializing in headaches might throw more light on the issue.

Take care and have a lovely day!