Pressure and swelling in nose, sinus headaches, swollen glands in neck. Head related or neck related problem?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had the following problem for many years. I have also submitted my question to an ENT and a neurologist but I also want to ask a specialist who would know about the neck.
I have a constant pressure and swollen feeling in the lower part of my nose (more notably on the right side), in the roof of my mouth, and in the left side of my chin. Sometimes the left side of my neck feels swollen and I can feel that my pulse is stronger on this side than on the right side. Occasionally, I get very bad sinus headaches around my left eye. When I get these headaches, the pressure I just described isn't present. When the headache leaves, the pressure returns. My dentist and ENT cannot find anything wrong.
I have been told by different chiropractors over the year that my neck is very inflamed.
They have also told me that my atlas and axis bones are out of line. Adjustments don't seem to make much difference. Although one time, I got a really good massage and all of my neck and facial pain went away but only for about an hour.
I have also been told by many doctors over the years that the glands in my neck are swollen.
Do you think that my problems could be neck related instead of head related?

Posted Sat, 1 Sep 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Swollen neck glands can cause the feeling of heaviness in the neck and one side of the chin like you are having. Your problem does not seem to be related to the neck vertebrae. It is more likely to be associated with chronic sinusitis which is causing an enlarged neck glands.
You need to get nasal endoscopy done to examine the inner part of the nose and CT scan or MRI of the paranasal sinuses and neck to know the extent of lymph node swelling you are having.
Without these investigations, it is difficult to predict the cause of your symptoms.
For symptomatic relief and to relieve the XXXXXXX congestion, do steam inhalation at least twice daily- Take hot water in a vessel, put eucalyptus oil in it. Inhale it by covering yourself with a blanket. See to it that fans/AC are not on during this and after some time also i.e. around 10-15 minutes.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Pressure and swelling in nose, sinus headaches, swollen glands in neck. Head related or neck related problem? 9 days later
Hi Dr. Tayal:

Thank you so much for your response. I'm sorry that I took so long to ask a follow-up question.

I know that this unlikely, but I live in Tampa, FLorida in the United States. Do you happen to know of any good doctor or doctors here in this area?

Thank you! XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Regarding the ENT specialists at your place I am sorry I am not aware of as I am in India.
To find a good ENT specialist nearest to your place, we have patient written reviews for doctors in our listing, those can guide you for a better doctor. You can search for a doctor in your area at

Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.