Pressure and soreness in back of throat,ear pressure,acid reflux,red and swollen lower throat

I've had a huge amount of pressure/ soreness in the back of my throat which is also causing constant ear pressure as well. It has become very worrisome. I am thirty seven and have hpv as well. ENT assured me it was not cancer, but treated me for acid reflux and TMJ. He took a look in his office with a small scope, but said that everything looked fine-- just a very red and swollen lower throat area. the
muscle relaxers did nothing for my condition and
the acid blockers did not help either. I was referred to a gastro specialist, who will be doing a scope in two weeks. oddly enough, the only medicine that helps me at all is Ativan. Any ideas on what this could be?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 21 hours later

Thanks for your query,

The symptoms you have give me strong suspection into pharyngeal problem, the full XXXXXXX in the ear can be explained well as the opening of the Eustachian tube connected to middle ear on the other side is in the pharynx.

Since you have tried some medications and found no relief most of the casues could be ruled out but i still suspect the reflux disease being the prime suspect here as it commomly results into a red swollen pharynx causing the typical symptoms you have and the other in that line would be allergies to some new allergens you are getting sensitized to or the infections.

The endoscopy will surely give some more insights into the problem to arrive at a specific diagnosis.Meanwhile i would ask you to gargle with CHLORHEXIDINE solution twice daily after food which will reduce the problem by decreasing the inflammation , infection( if any ) and soothening the throat mucosa giving symptomatic relief.

Ativan ( Lorazepam ) is a centrally acting drug which can give you momentary relief by reducing the pain and anxiety, but cannot treat the local pathology.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.