Presence of brown tissue in the cough. Reasons?

I am coughing up what appears to be XXXXXXX and brown tissue.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 55 minutes later

As I believe that more information can help a physician help a patient, please answer the following questions:

1)     Are you having any history of fever, shortness of breath, sinus infection, chills or loss of weight?

2)     Do you have any pain under the right ribs?

3)     Do you have any pain in the right shoulder?

Two possibilities are coming to my mind from your symptoms and these are:

1)     Amoebic liver abscess which has ruptured in the right lung. This results from infection with Entamoeba histolytica and an abscess forms in the liver which can rupture into the lungs.

2)     Lower pneumonia and/or XXXXXXX micro-bleedings.

You need to get an x-ray chest, computerised tomography scan of the chest and upper abdomen done to rule out these possibilities.
Once the final diagnosis is reached, appropriate treatment can be started.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. Please do send back the answers to these questions. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up query.