Ask a Urologist   »  

Presence of blood and protein in urine. Cancer screening test done. What does the finding mean?

Hi, I am 52 years old. I've been an athlete my entire life, a 3-sport scholarship athlete in college. Since I was 17, every time that I get a physical I told that there is protein and blood in my urine.

I just had my annual cancer screening, the protein is 2+ and RBC count is 4-10. What could cause this?
Posted Thu, 7 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 3 hours later
Welcome to XXXXXXX
The proteinuria needs to be quantified by 24 hour urine sample to assess the extent of protein in the urine over a 24 hour period.
Also, the blood in the urine could be due to stones/ infection/tumor in the urinary tract.
Urine culture test, ultrasound scan are needed for assessment.
You need to consult nephrologist/urologist, get physically examined, do these tests and take it from the results.
Best regards