Prescribed with z-pak, albuterol inhaler, benzonatate for acute bronchitis. What could be the reason for sore throat?

Good morning. I was diagnosed with acute (bacterial) bronchitis on 11/9 and given a z-pak, albuterol inhaler, Benzonatate and cough liquid w/ codine to take at bed time. My lungs and sinus are clear and I'm pretty sure this is a result from cleaning the basement and inhaling dust and dirt. I'm fairly certain this is the cause because I started coughing while doing the cleaning and it just got worse from there. Although feeling much better than I did, I'm probably about 75%. But my real concern is now I have a sore throat; not irritated from coughing, but an actual sore throat. Could something else be going on?
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 57 minutes later
Brief Answer: Salt water gargle,NSAID,Antibiotic Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Lamb, Thanks for using XXXXXXX I went through the query and understood your concern. The initial episode of cough due to inhaling dust and dirt suggests allergic bronchitis or pharyngitis. The treatment that was given are cough suppressants and broncho-dilator and no antibiotic. The inhaled dust may contain bacteria and can infect you. Bacterial infection usually presents with variation in breath sounds (If lung is infected), fever, throat pain or sore throat (pharyngitis) and lymph node enlargement in the neck may be present with sputum. Now since you have sore throat there may be inflammation in throat due to bacteria or allergen, I advice you to do concentrated salt warm water gargle three times a day (not after having food), have anti inflammatory drug like acetaminophen and if bacterial infection antibiotic is required. Avoid cold and oily food. These will help you. Hope this information helps you. Feel free to ask if any related query and I will be glad to answer them. If satisfied close the query and write a review as well. Wish you happy life. Regards
Follow-up: Prescribed with z-pak, albuterol inhaler, benzonatate for acute bronchitis. What could be the reason for sore throat? 37 minutes later
Thanks much for your reply. I may have been unclear with some info I provided because I did get an antibiotic. I started with the cough on 10/28. I also had terrible body aches, headache, some sweating. I thought perhaps I was getting the flu although I had a flu shot several weeks prior. The symptoms continued to worsen and I went to a CVS Minute-Clinic on 11/2. That was when I got the inhaler. Throught the following week was kinda strange. I'd feel good one day then horrible the next. One night I'd sleep through and hardly cough. Another night I wouldn't get any sleep at all, having constant coughing fits and hardly being able to catch my breath. I had some mucus but I had experienced much more at previous times. On 11/9 I went to an Urgent Care clinic. They felt this might be bacterial because of the severity and the back and forth of feeling better and worse. They said to continue with the inhaler but they did also give an antibiotic- Azithromycin. 5 pills; 2 the first day and 1 for the next 4 days. My last pill was yesterday. That's why I was a bit concerned to get a sore throat while taking the antibiotic. Maybe it was just viral afterall?
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 35 minutes later
Brief Answer: allergic bronchitis or viral.Montelukast & NSAID, Detailed Answer: Hi, thanks for writing back. With the history, the problem you are suffering may be allergic bronchitis or viral infection(Since no history of asthma). Usually after an episode of viral infection, bacterial pharyngitis may overlap. Azithromycin is a good antibiotic for URTI. With these symptoms Tab. Montelukast and tab acetaminophen may help you along with concentrated salt warm water gargle. Continue inhaler only when required for breathlessness. If the symptoms does not relieve then get examined by your doctor once and you need to take another group of antibiotic like levofloxacin / amoxicillin. Selecting antibiotic by culture and sensitivity gives good result. But in empirical therapy we usually select drug with broad spectrum activity and based on local experience on treatment with the patients. Hope this helps you. Regards