Prescribed with triamterene hydrochlorothiazide for hypertension. How soon will it start working?

My BP was 170/90 so my doc prescribed triamterene hydrochlorothiazide very small dose .5mg. How soon before it starts to help? I am 65 years old, female, otherwise in good health,135 lbs, 5'7".
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Triamterene hydrochlorothiazide is a combination of two medications, triamterene and hydrochlorothizide.
They are both diuretics (medications that cause the body to lose excess fluid volume).Excess fluid volume is one of the common reasons for high blood pressure.

The drug has a onset of action of 2 to 4 hrs, the peak effect is normally after 3 hours.

Its action would not be affected by your meals.

You can consider rechecking your blood pressure 24 hrs after initiation to see if there is any improvement. The 24 hrs is to allow any individual variation in the metabolism of the drug.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask any other questions