Prescribed with rabeprazole for stomach hernia and gastritis. What are the side effects of the medication?

Excellent

Gastroenterologist
Question
Hi, I've previously been prescribed rabeprazole for 6 weeks for a stomach hernia and gastritis. It appears the issue of GERD could be returning. I did take the rabeprazole but only for about 3 weeks, which was a few months ago. Are there any adverse effects from taking the medication again now? Could it be taken for 3 weeks now? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: Please see the details Detailed Answer: Hello! Thanks for putting your query in XXXXXXX I am a Gastroenterologist (DM). Yes these medications can be taken without any side effect. This medicine has been taken for fifteen years in various studies and has shown only minimal side effects.Instead of plain rabeprazole take a prokinetic agent like domperidone along with it. I will rather advise you to take this medicine for at least 6 weeks along with some lifestyle changes like: 1. Don't lie down soon after meals at least for 2 hours. 2. Avoid fatty meals, tea, citrus fruits 3. Take small and frequent meals instead of full meal at a time. 4. Make your head end side of bed elevated for at least 6 inches while sleeping 6. Avoid smoke or alcohol if you take I hope I have answered your query and this will help you. If you have any further query I will be happy to answer that too. Remain in touch and get-well soon.

Follow-up: Prescribed with rabeprazole for stomach hernia and gastritis. What are the side effects of the medication? 17 hours later
Thanks Dr. XXXXXXX I will follow your detailed suggestions. I am wondering should coffee also be avoided as well as tea? I was also told not to drink even water before sleeping for 3 hours, would that also be a helpful suggestion or not likely to have much effect? Regards

Answered by Dr. Amit Jain 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Please see the details Detailed Answer: Hello! Coffee should also be avoided. I don't think that liquid intake will effect as liquid passes from stomach very fast to intestine that is the emptying rate of liquid is very fast. So liquid can be taken at least 30 minutes before going to bed.If you do not have any further query , you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you a good health.