Prescribed with penicillin for molar abscess. Can I take Amoxicillin?

Have a molar abcess..was prescribed Penicillin VK 500 mg qid Not seeming to be working since began on Tues this week.I wonderif I can add Amoxicillin 875mg bid???
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 17 minutes later
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The definitive treatment of any abscess is drainage, antibiotics will not work if the abscess is not drained.IF it has been drained and you are still so symptomatic, it is possible that there is some recollection of purulent matter which may need re draining.
It would not be advisable to add amoxicillin to a regimen of penicillin. These drugs belong to the same family of medications (amoxicillin is one of the penicillins), if you use both of them, there would be an overdose of the medication.The penicillin that your are presently using is considered drug of choice of this type of infection.

If the penicillin VK is not working, your doctor may suggest using another medication with a broader spectrum (can treat more bacteria) which may be more effective.Your dentist may consider taking a swab of the area , to determine if the bacteria is resistant to the antibiotic that you are using.

It would be best to consult your dentist regarding the persisting problem.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Prescribed with penicillin for molar abscess. Can I take Amoxicillin? 13 minutes later
I wonder if the urgent care facilities would drain the root abcess. It has not been drained. I am Canadian on winter vacation in Flordia.I attempted to connect with the dentist on Fri.but office closed.The pain has lessened but externally there is soft tissue swelling under my left jaw/neck area that feels minimally achy.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 7 hours later
I cannot answer definitively but I do not believe it would be drained in a normal urgent care facility since it would require a dentist, who are not usually part to staff.

You can try contacting a dental office, there are some offices that have emergency hours that may be able to help