Prescribed with mucaine gel and fiberlact powder for bloating and constipation during pregnancy. Are they safe?

Mar 2016

I am 9 weeks pregnant and my doctor has prescribed the following medicines to me for gas or bloating and constipation:

1. Mucaine Gel or Rantac
2. Fiberlact powder

My question is how safely can I use those? I mean in which frequency? I have taken those couple of days when the problem has been severe. Which is safer between Mucaine or Rantac?
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 21 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX,

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) Above medications are quite safe during pregnancy and you don't need to be much worried.

2) Mucaine Gel is anesthetic antacid suspension and daily recommended dose is 5 to 10 ml, three to four times daily, 15 min before large meal and at bed time. Proper dosing depends on severity of your current clinical condition (dyspepsia, acidity, gas etc) and you must consult with your treating doctor regarding this.

3) Rantac (Ranitidine) is H2 blocker and acts as antacid. It should be taken 1/2 to 1 hr before meal or in empty stomach. Usual dose is 150 mg twice daily.

4) Fiberlact Powder contains Ispaghula Husk & Lactitol and is used in pregnancy induced constipation. It is taken as 3 spoon at bed time with water. Along with, you must take more green vegetables and drink plenty of water (2.5-3 lit/ day) or fruit juice.

5) Both Mucaine and Rantac are safe. Rantac is used in mild acidity, dyspepsia or gas problem and Mucaine gel is prescribed in severe symptoms or recurrence.

Hope, I have answered your query. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through