Prescribed with losartan potassium. Pain in foot, coughing and back pain. Had severe congestive heart failure. Suggest the cure?

I have been prescribed losartan potassium 100 mg to replace my diovan 160 mg because diovan is too expensive. After two weeks I have been having pain in my foot aside from more coughing and arm and back pain. I also take 80 mg of furomecide and 80 mg of potassium daily. I had severe congestive heart failure and was hospitalized three years ago. Since then, I was pretty stable until I changed my medication. I still have two weeks of diovan left, so I plant to switch back to diovan to see if it will make a difference. If it relieves my problems, I will have to accept the higher price of $45 a month. What do you think?
Posted Wed, 6 Nov 2013 in Heart Failure
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can go ahead with Diovan for now.

Detailed Answer:

For now, you can go ahead with Diovan instead of Losartan to see if it improves your symptoms.

If there is a significant improvement in your present symptoms, that means Diovan would be the best option for you.

Not all medicines will have the equal effect on every individual, so it is possible that Diovan was better suited for you than Losartan.

But if you do not see any significant improvement with the Diovan trail, then you will need to consult your treating doctor again to see if any dose adjustment can be made wit Losartan to relieve you of your symptoms.

I hope this answers your question. Please feel free to write back to me if you have any doubts or further queries.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Warm regards,