Prescribed with high doses of opiates for infection. Should I go for cognitive therapy?

Dec 2015

I am a Grad school student in Psychology. In April-August I was hospitalized for a rare infection and had 4 surgeries. I was in Hospital 6 weeks and Nursing home 12 weeks. I was accepted into grad school before being admitted fro the infection. I was given very heavy doses of Opiates for the 125 days. I successfully completed my undergrad in the nursing home and was released a week before Grad school began. I am not preforming well and can tell I don't think as well or remember as well as I did 6 months ago. My Professors have suggested I take a medical leave of absence from the program. I am on a regimen of SSRI's, exercise, non-dysfunctional environment, and am in school. My Psy Professors whom I've had before are wanting me to get cognitive therapy along with the neurogenesis regimen I am on. I feel like i'm getting better every week but the dept wants me to get therapy and come back fall of 2014. I am studying at TAMCC. My resources are very limited and am living on disability, but my loans will stop by spring semester. I need someone who will work with me in Corpus XXXXXXX I have my BA in Psychology and could volunteer in the therapist office even doing menial work in exchange for cog therapy. Please some advise would be appreciated and any help you could offer in way of advice or anything, please tell me. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX YYYY@YYYY , 361.461.6926. Thank you. XXXXXXX
Posted Sun, 1 Dec 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. K. V. Anand 32 hours later
Brief Answer: You can do it for yourself... Detailed Answer: I can understand your concerns. I can clearly say that you are doing very well. You being a psychology graduate, should be able to adjust to the difficult situations. And that is what sets you apart from other students of your age. You were doing well and are doing well psychologically and intellectually. I remind you that recovery is the key. Being in a particular state is not possible at all. Everyone recover. Some faster than the other. I am sure you can recover faster. You were able to recover very fast and you know it and you accept it and you are proud of it. These are the basic stones of development, knowing self and accepting self. Cognitive therapy is nothing but creating and implementing some thinking styles suitable to the client and implementing it. Very easy for a psychology graduate, but not easy for others. What do we do for cognitive therapy - 1. Know the client very well, including his positive and negatives. 2. Understand his current life style and circumstances. 3. Know very well how he behaving for natural circumstances 4. Understand his personality type with the help of some personality test 5. Understand his anxiety and emotional style Now starting cognitive therapy 1. Make the client aware of the situation and what is his requirement 2. Fix short term goals and long term goals which are beneficial for the client. 3. Prepare charts and guidelines in consultation with the client. 4. Persuade the client to change his lifestyles so as to achieve the short term goals first and then the longterm ones. All these steps are very easy for you because you know what is psychology. You can do it without a therapist's support. Your professors are doing their duty. Let them be happy at it. You do your duty. You need to look for financial assistance for cognitive therapy; you might do it your self. For every cognitive therapy to be a success, you need exercise, free mind, knowing the life inside out and a will to succeed. I am available for any help. You can count on me. Write back for assistance. God bless you recover soon. Dr. KV Anand