Prescribed with duspatalin to relieve tightness in stomach related to IBS. Is duspatalin a type of prokinetic?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Sep 2013
Sep 2013

Question
My doctor prescribed duspatalin (mebeverine hydrochloride) to relieve fullness, tightness in stomach, bloating and constipation related to IBS. Increase bowel motility.... Taking it 2 times a day for 14 days I was told to ask for a prokinetic to increase the bowel motility. I would like to know duspatalin it a prokinetic or type of prokinetic? Will it relieve my syptoms? Bowel motility is the most important. Will it do that?
Posted Thu, 21 Nov 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Possible I B S Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for the query. Duspatalin ( mebeverine hydrochloride ) is not a prokinetic drug . These ( prokinetic ) are drugs which promotes gastrointestinal transit and speed gastric emptying. Prokinetic drugs are , =Metoclopramide =domperidon =cisapride =mosapride & also itopride etc. Mebeverine is an antispasmodic drug and only relieve spasm in abdomen . If pain is due to spasm of intestine or stomach , it provide relief. If symptoms are due to spasm than mebeverine will relieve symptoms . Mebeverine don't interfere in motility of intestine . Hope I have answered your question. If further any question I will help. Good luck. Dr. HET

Follow-up: Prescribed with duspatalin to relieve tightness in stomach related to IBS. Is duspatalin a type of prokinetic? 2 days later
Did the antibiotics cause a problem gastrointestinally? What is causing the consipation, bloating and gas and how can i get rid of the constipation bloating and gas?

Answered by Dr. Het Ram Bishnoi 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Constipation , bloating & gas . Detailed Answer: Hello, Many antibiotics cause constipation, many also cause diarrhea, nausea, vomiting abdominal pain, indigestion, bloating. High fiber diet, plenty of water, salad helps in constipation. Now for gas, bloating, I would come up with these measures. Try raising the head of your bed about 4 inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for 2 hours before you lie down. To help control stomach acid one should drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them or eat chocolate, spicy, or greasy foods. Also take some antacid but if symptoms (bloating or gas formation) are severe, you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors. Hope this information will help you. Further, any question I will help. Good luck. Dr. HET