Prescribed with clonipan for severe anxiety. No improvement. Suggest the permanent cure

I have severe anxiety to the point I no longer leave my home with the exception of going to des appointments. I have no friends left, l can't even go out to restaurants with my husband anymore my psychiatrist says he does not write scripts for clonipan etc. Because govt is closing down practices who prescribe these meds for longer than three or four days. My question is if that's true, what in the world am I going to do? Anti depressants don't help and I'm desperate for help the
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Clonipan is used for short term only. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress. Important aspects of your query are: • 57 year old female • Known case of Anxiety • Concern related to Clonipan use. Anxiety occurs due to neurotransmitters imbalance in brain most commonly involving serotonin neurotransmitter. There is need for treatment, if symptoms cause significant personal distress or affect personal/professional life. Both drug and non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) are used for treatment. Choice of treatment depends on severity of symptoms, personal preference and availability of treatment. According to guidelines, In drug treatment of anxiety two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines (like clonipan) are used for short duration due to risk of dependence. Dependance on Clonipan carry risk of exacerbation anxiety and development of depression. As benzodiazepines group of medicines (like clonipan) show immediate relief of anxiety, people misunderstood them more effective than SSRI and have tendency to use benzodiazepines for long term. For long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect after regular intake, till that time benzodiazepines (like clonipan) control the anxiety symptoms. If one SSRI is ineffective then its doses can be increased or it can be replaced by other SSRI. All these medicines are prescription medicine and given after in person examination by physician. Concurrently you can start non drug treatment like cognitive behaviour therapy (form of psychotherapy) from nearby psychotherapist for better improvement. I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Wish you good health. Regards,