Prescribed with carvedilol for blood pressure. Is it a low dosage?

My Family Doctor closed his practice. I am seeing new Doctors. my family doctor had me on Losartan Potassium 100mg. The 1st new doctor changed the mgs to 50 one week later changed it to 20 mgs. Now I am seeing the Doctor that is now our family doctor, now he has changed my Blood Pressure medicine to Carvedilol 3.125mgs. is the Blood Pressure medicine he has me on now, is it lower in mgs? Because Dr. Brown my doctor for 9 years put me through a lot of test before he decided what to put me on.
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Basheer Ahamed 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Hypertensive and Coronary artery disease. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query. For Hypertension(High blood pressure) and coronary artery disease the best medicine out of the two is Carvedilol. That is what your new doctor has prescribed. I say this because unlike losartan which only lowers blood pressure by dilating the blood vessels, carvedilol has dual effects on the blood vessels and the heart. It improves the blood circulation to the heart and helps it to pump well after the heart becomes weak follow heart attack. So in my opinion Carvedilol is best for you and you should stick to it. Dose can be adjusted as per your blood pressure numbers recorded a week later or as and when you record it. Hope the answer helps you. Let me know if there is any clarification. Regards.