Prescribed with adderall to manage ADHD. Having lower abdomen, groin pain after drinking. Reason?

Nov 2013

Hi. I was recently prescribed Adderall XR 40mg to manage ADHD symptoms. I took it for about three weeks as prescribed, but had terrible problems falling asleep. Stupidly, I self-medicated by drinking a lot of liquor almost every night to help me sleep. I finally decided I'd had enough two nights ago, tossed the Adderall and stopped drinking. I was sober yesterday and am sober today. However I'm now having the following symptoms: lower right abdomen/groin pain, a little bit of noticeable swelling in the upper right groin area, GI discomfort after eating and intermittent "burning" sensation at varying locations along the right abdomen. None of these are acute, but they are very bothersome. Do I have gastritis? Something else? What should I do? Thanks
Posted Wed, 6 Mar 2013 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 22 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

First of all, I would like to reassure you that your symptoms do not point to any serious illness.

The most likely cause of your symptoms is acidity due to gastritis, which in turn has resulted due to alcohol intake.

As you have stopped drinking, your symptoms would gradually subside in a few days. You may take rabeprozole to get faster relief from symptoms.

Right upper abdominal pain could also point to a mild inflammation of liver area (mild hepatitis), which is also common with drinking. Again it should subside in a few days. If it does not, you may do a liver function test (blood test).

In summary, there is no need to worry now, and you would soon improve.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM