Prescribed with Sulfameth. Allergic to Amoxicillan, Metronidozle, and Clyndamycin. Is this the right medication?

Critical Care Specialist
I was just prescribed Sulfameth/Trimeth DS. I am allergic to Amoxicillan, Metronidozle, Clyndamycin, and erythromycin. I am "scared" to take this medication as I have read that it is a sulfonamide and so is erythromycin. What antibiotic can I take that won't kill me?? I was taking erythromycin for 3 days and I stopped yesterday when I took my dose and became dizzy and lightheaded and felt like my blood pressure dropped. I have not taken another dose since. Should I continue with the erythormycin?
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 2 hours later
Hi thanks for writing to us.
At the outset I would say you have not mentioned for what infection you are taking antibiotics. Yes sulfameth/trimeth DS is basically sulfonamide.But sulfonamides and erythromycin are not same drug and even XXXXXXX not belong to same group of drugs .Sulfonamides are basically Para amino benzoic acid and trimethoprim is diaminopyrimidine derivative,where as erythromycin is basically Macrolides and contains macrocyclic lactone ring with attached sugar. Both drugs are structurally different. If you’re allergic to one you can take another. Even if it is considered your also allergic to sulfonamides, there are large numbers of antibiotics which you can take like quinolones (norfloxicin,ciprofloxicillin and many more) and cephalosporins (cephalexin,cefotaxime and many more).
As you have also developed allergic reaction to erythromycin you can take sulfamet/trimeth DS,as I explained above they are not same drug.
Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries.
Dr Sadiq.