Prescribed with Ovunal-SC during early pregnancy. History of ectopic pregnancy. Side effects of the medication?

Question
My wife is having 75 days pregnancy and her doctor prescribed her 8 dose of “OVUNAL-SC 5000 mg” after every week, till now she had taken 4 and left with remaining 4 injections. Can you please let me know why this injection is prescribed? Is this drug having any side effect?
History: last year she got e-topic pregnancy
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have provided me with good information.

Your wife is in her 3 rd month or first Trimester pregnancy now.
She has been prescribed OVUNAL SC 5000 mg.

Ovunal is a Human Chorionic Gonadotropin. HCG is not an anabolic/androgenic steroid but a natural protein hormone which develops in the placenta of a pregnant woman.

HCG injection can help women with fertility problems. In order to increase the chances of becoming pregnant, HCG injection is given along with other fertility drugs.

If the woman is already pregnant, it maintains the corpus luteum producing Progesterone when conception occurs.

The side effects of this medication includes : Indigestion, Vomiting, Nausea, Shortness of breath, Sudden weight gain, Swelling, Stomach pain or pelvic pain, Bloating. Side effects differ from patient to patient.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.