Prescribed with N-acetyl cysteine for bipolar disorder. What dosage should I take?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013

Neurologist
Question
For bipolar rapid cycle 1 a doctor suggested n acetyl l cysteine but did not say how many mg a day or for how many days . Do u think this should be used during manic days only and how much is the dose . My son is 29 years old 190 pounds thx u. We are weaning lithium and we are now at 150 mg daily but my son is terribly itchy in the chest and its red from scratching and very annoying for him. We are icing. Creaming etc any other ideas and is this normal for withdrawal to itch on chest between ribs ?. Thx
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Sleep Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. Yes, N-acetyl cysteine is useful in treating bipolar disorder. It mainly helps in depressive phase of bipolar disorder. In most studies, this drug has been used as an add-on drug (added to the already used drugs). The usual recommended dose for N-acetyl cysteine is 1000 mg twice daily. Itching is not common after lithium withdrawal, however, some people do experience this symptom. I hope it helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, My personal URL on this website: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My blog: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.com/

Follow-up: Prescribed with N-acetyl cysteine for bipolar disorder. What dosage should I take? 22 minutes later
My son was given androcur to lower his testosterone because he gets hyper sexual during his manic ten days. Since starting this drug he is bed wetting at night...I tried to stop this pill during his calm days but he continued bed wetting. Do u think that this drug has caused long term damage and this side effect will continue for life ? He is 29..do u know any homeopath remedies to stop bed wetting ?thx

Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Androcur (cyproterone) is uncommonly associated with bed wetting. However, if it has been caused by the drug, it should stop in a few weeks. The side effect is not permanent. In allopathy, we use either imipramine or desmopressin to control be wetting. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: Prescribed with N-acetyl cysteine for bipolar disorder. What dosage should I take? 2 hours later
What dose do u use? I tried .4 desmopressin and still wet

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: I usually start the desmopressin tablets at a dose of 0.2 mg at night, and depending on the response, it may be increased to 0.6 mg taken once at bedtime. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)