Prescribed trazodone for insomnia after having a baby. This led to severe anxiety. Does ambien have similar effect?

My doctor prescribed trazodone (75 mg) for insomnia after having a baby. I have had a severe reaction of anxiety on this and zoloft. My Dr advised me to stop taking after one dose. The next day I am still feeling the anxiety. How long does the drug stay in my system. When can I expect it to be totally out?
Does Ambien cause anxiety or just the anti-depressants?
Posted Sat, 9 Jun 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 3 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Trazodone is an anti depressant and anti anxiety drug with sleep inducing action. In initial few days (2-3 days) it may induce anxiety in some patients like in your case but it should not last more than 2-3 days after stoppage of medicines.

If your anxiety is very severe then it may be unrelated to trazodone use and we should also consider anxiety disorder in your case. Sleep disturbance is one of the presenting symptom of anxiety.

Other symptoms of anxiety which may or may not be present in your case: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, sleep disturbance, palpitation and dry mouth. Tell me if you have some of these symptoms.

Ambien is an sleep inducing medicine, it does not have antidepressant or antianxiety actions.

Are you breast feeding your baby? If yes then for minor symptoms of anxiety do not take medicines. If symptoms are severe then medicines for anxiety may be required in your case.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after some time.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Prescribed trazodone for insomnia after having a baby. This led to severe anxiety. Does ambien have similar effect? 12 minutes later
I am not breast feeding my baby and do not have anxiety disorder. Is there anything else that can be done to speed this drug out of my system?
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 22 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up,

It is good that you do not have anxiety disorder. The drug effects will get eliminated from body in 2-3 days. To speed up elimination just drink plenty of water for 1-2 days.

Please accept my answer in case there are no further queries and recommend our services to your friends too if you have found it helpful.

Wish you good health.