Ask a Dentist   »  

Prescribed stolin gum astringement for recurring bleeding gum. Looking for permanent solution

Dentist, Prosthodontics
Question

I had bleeding gum. So the doctor first prescribed Stolin Gum Astringement. Then after the doctor cleaned the teeth, and it stopped. 15 days after it started bleeding again when I was on vacation, the doctor prescribed Metrogyl DG Gel as nothing else was available then. Again after say 15-20 days now its bleeding. Can I again use Metrogyl or Stolin? I'll visit doctor when I get time, but as of now which one to use?
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
Thank you for the query. You can use Metrogyl for the time being but I would recommend taking OPG x-ray so that we can get clear idea about the status of surrounding tissues of the teeth and plan further treatment. You may require further Gum treatment.
Hope this answers your query, if you have anything to be clarified you are most well-come.

Follow-up: Prescribed stolin gum astringement for recurring bleeding gum. Looking for permanent solution 3 hours later
I've without consulting used Stolin for 2 days, shall I switch back to metrogyl, or shall I give nothing to the mouth for few days and then go back to metrogyl before I get time for a dentist.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 6 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX, since you have already started with Stolin please continue. I also suggest you to visit the dentist at the earliest because some of the problems of the supporting structures of the teeth become irreparable.

Hope this clarrifies you, if you have anything to be asked please feel free

Follow-up: Prescribed stolin gum astringement for recurring bleeding gum. Looking for permanent solution 24 hours later
One last thing, the bleeding has reduced and almost stopped unless you put lot of pressure to the affected gum area. I know I still need to see a doctor, but in the mean time can I keep using Stolin? How long is it safe to use this medicine.

The gum do not bleed when brushed or lightly touched like before. Only by force if you keep rubbing it , it bleeds. Is it improving? If I leave it alone, will it heal? No other gum is bleeding too.

Thanks for your help.

Answered by Dr. Ramesh B. Hegde 12 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX,
thanks for the clarification. You can use the Stolin for 15 days. It is better to go for OPG x-ray which give the status of supporting structures of all the teeth rather than feeling sorry later. That x-ray costs Rs 250-300/-.

Hope this answers your doubt.
with happy regards,