Prescribed roxithromycin sandoz to treat mucus in throat. Blood test showed high gama G.T. Cause?

I have been prescribed roxithromycin sandoz to treat some build up of mucus in my throat area. The day after I finished the full doses, I had a blood test taken for general check up. this is because my dad has high blood pressure and diabetes. Result shows my Gamma G.T is 91. I was told this has something to do with my liver. I do not drink alcohol. What could have caused the relatively high gamma G.T and how to improve this.
Posted Mon, 8 Oct 2012 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
The raised Gamma GGT(GGT) is drug induced and would subside completely in 15 days without any consequences.
The Roxithromycin is a macrolide antibiotic and they are known to cause cholestatic liver dysfunction, a totally innocuous and self limiting phenomenon.
I hope you would not be worried about it anymore. I will be happy to solve your further queries. In case you are satisfied with my answer, please close the discussion and put a rating for it.
Dr.Monika Choudhary
Follow-up: Prescribed roxithromycin sandoz to treat mucus in throat. Blood test showed high gama G.T. Cause? 7 hours later
my doctor has asked me to continue with the repeat of prescription of roxythromycin as mucus has not completely gone. Would this not cause further cholestatic liver dysfunction? Thank you for your first answer.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 45 minutes later
Welcome back to XXXXXXX
Roxithromycin is effective in 7days, stretching beyond hardly makes a difference.
It would not cause further clinical benefit for bad throat.
It would not cause serious liver injury either. The temporary liver dysfunction is not a contraindication.
But the crux is that more than half of the throat problems occur due to viruses, so I would suggest you to do lukewarm saline gargles thrice a day.
Followed by chlorhexidine mouth gargles and then nothing by mouth.
Do the gargles for 15days regularly and rinse mouth with water after taking anything by mouth.