Prescribed repace and ditide for HBP. Are these medications safe and effective over long term?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
i am 47 years old male. I am having BP of usually 130/90 & sometimes it goes upto 145/95 due to work pressure.
My doctor has suggested me to take 1 TAB of Repace 25 mg & half tablet of DITIDE. Is this medication safe for longer use ?
Posted Sun, 3 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 8 minutes later
Hi Mr XXXXXXX

Thank you for posting your query.

Hypertension (high BP) requires medications for life long.

The medications you have been prescribed-Repace and Ditide- are safe and effective medications over long term.

Repace (losartan) is an angiotensin receptor blocker and generally does not cause any side effects. Other newer drugs in this category are telmisartan and olmesartan, which are more potent than losartan.

Ditide is a mild diuretic (causes increased urination) and is a very old BP drug. This also is quite safe.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Prescribed repace and ditide for HBP. Are these medications safe and effective over long term? 18 minutes later
If I use telmisartan and olmesartan then what should be the strength of the same ? & still should I use Ditide ?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 4 minutes later
Thank you for getting back.

Telmisartan is usually started at a dose of 40 mg once daily, and olmesartan is started at a dose of 20 mg once daily.

At your relatively young age and since you have mild high BP, I would prefer to use only one medication now. So, I would not use Ditide. Only if the BP is not adequately well controlled, would I add the second BP medications.

I hope it clarifies.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM

Follow-up: Prescribed repace and ditide for HBP. Are these medications safe and effective over long term? 9 minutes later
Thanks for your prompt reply.

I have understood your answer as :-

Take 1 Tab. of Telmisartan 40 mg once daily

or

Take 1 Tab. of olmesartan 20 mg once daily

&

STOP half tab. of DITIDE

Please correct me if my understanding is wrong.

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 minute later
Yes XXXXXXX,

Your understanding is perfectly right, but please discuss with your doctor before you make the final change.

All the best!

Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM