Prescribed prozac. Information on the drug?

Hi I need some sort of help or your expetise to help my son to get off this drug that his been on it for the last three years. I finally talked some sense to him and took him to our family GP. They both had a discussion and he prescribed him on this tablet call Prozac 20mg. Is this going to help him to get off this thing that his been on it for quiete few years.
I need your expertise information that is this tablet going to help him out and his really under very bad stress . I really appreciate if you could give me some advice how to handle this situation he tells me that his off it but I lost my trust in him. As a mother I want best thing for my kids and make sure they go on a right track . Pls advise me what do I need to do to help him. It is really worrying me and his other two brothers. Many thanks waiting for your response
Posted Sun, 25 Aug 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 11 minutes later
Thanks for your query. Prozac is fluoxetine belonging to SSRI group of drugs. I would suggest continuing the drug as it has proven antidepressant properties. However, i would additionally suggest adding an additional psychotherapy intervention like CBT/ Cognitive behavioural therapy as it would address the issue faster. Consult a clinical psychologist for the same.Wish him speedy recovery.
Dr Sundar
Follow-up: Prescribed prozac. Information on the drug? 15 minutes later
Many thanks for your great advice. I will definitely get him to see a clinical psychologist. Thanks heaps.
Answered by Dr. Sundar Gnanavel 2 hours later
Wish him speedy recovery.
Dr Sundar