Prescribed primolut nor to delay period. When will the next cycle start?

May 2013
Hi, I was recommended Primulut Nor for delaying the cycle. My question is, once it is delayed, when is the next cycle due? Is it gonna be 28 days after this delayed period came or when it was supposed to be without taking the medication?
Posted Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 minutes later

When progesterone tablets are used to delay the period, the withdrawal bleeding can occur after 4 to 5 days of stopping the pills.
The time of onset of next menstrual bleeding differ from person to person.
This depends on the period of the cycle when you took the tablets, number of days of using the tablets etc.
In general usually it occurs 28 to 30 days after the onset of withdrawal bleeding.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
Follow-up: Prescribed primolut nor to delay period. When will the next cycle start? 18 hours later
Thank you Dr Sree,
I need to delay the cycle by a week, as I am going on a holiday that I would imagine would be more enjoyable if I didn't have my period. So, this is not for any medical reasons, etc. However, I started taking the pills yesterday- one every 12 hours as per the recommendation in its leaflet, however I noticed I had light bleeding already and last night (after taking the 2nd pill) I experienced some pretty strong cramps and a headache. Seems my period will come after all? Would it be wise to stop the pills at this point, or should I continue, hoping that the bleeding, cramps and the headache will seize? I really don't want to mess up my health, I rather not take a risk if these symptoms show I am intolerent to it. Please advise- are these normal occurrances with other women too? I may have started taking it too late, I thought it was the day prior to the onset of my otherwise regular period (28 days), but as well know this is not an exact science:-)... Thank you Dr Sree!
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 6 hours later

To delay the periods the progesterone pills should be started at-least 4 to 5 days before the expected date of the periods.
As you started the pills just one day before the date, the tablets may not delay the periods as expected.
Possibly because of this you noticed spotting. As you are also noticing cramps, headache etc. better to stop the pills and allow your menstrual flow to continue.
These symptoms usually seen in women while taking the tablets, but as these are intolerable to you better to stop.
Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.